Sunday, May 20, 2007

Small coincidences

On Friday night, I saw a movie "Mona Lisa Smile" (2003) on DVD. This is a movie depicting the challenge by a feminist teacher who tried to change the mindset of her students at a conservative women's college in 1950s.

I loved the musics, classical dresses and old commercial films used at the end of the movie.

This movie features many famous beautiful actresses such as Julia Roberts and Kirsten Dunst, but somehow I could not take my eyes off from Maggie Gyllenhaal while she is on the screen. She is not a so-called "beauty", but she has something attractive and reminded me of something or someone I know... (now I remember. She resembles Anne Wiasemsky in "La Chinoise" by J.L.Godard.)



What was interesting to me was that the movie was not my choice. I joined my host family while they were seeing it. A couple of weeks ago, it was "Last Samurai". On that day I was limping as I twisted my ankle on the stairs, and saw a crashed car from the bus window. The bloody Samurai movie strangely overlapped the pain and injury I witnessed and experienced on that day. On the day I saw "Mona Lisa Smile", I had come across a piece of words that made me think about difficulties women have to face in their lives. And this movie was waiting for me at home.


These small coincidences made me think that what we have in our mind may attract some events.

Or my landlady Catherine has an ability to read my mind...

(Images: retrieved from IMdb)

1 comment:

alice said...

Nice! I've never watched that kind of movie before... hope I can watch it, too! Have a nice day!