Thursday, April 12, 2007

Colleges Need A Reply. May I See Your Notes? (NY Times)

In the admitted-student season, highschool seniors who applied colleges or universities are courted like celebrities by the colleges that accepted them and that are worrying that students may go to other places. Some students send their application to so many colleges in the fear of being rejected that they get accepted even by the one they've never seen. To narrow down the choice, the best way is to visit the colleges. But not everyone has the time or money to travel around different campuses.

Internet can be a good tool to retrieve information you need. Forget about general ranking because now is the time to make a decision. Focus on the things that you will care about when you get there. Some websites like "Collegeconfidential.com" offers hundreds of anonymous reports about everything (atmosphere, bathroom, friendliness of college staff). Or "Collegeprowler.com" gives you ratings of colleges in nontraditional unique categories such as Greek life and night life. But do not rely on too much on one opinion. It is good to communicate with people who had visited there, and take their comment with a grain of salt.

I was attracted to this article as I just visited the college I am planning to go in the previous break. The real college and the impression I got from neat photos on website had a big difference. (In fact, I was slightly disappointed with the smallness of the town.) But the hostel I stayed was not so bad as I expected from comments and the lowest ratings on a website. It is really difficult to judge something using indirect information because everyone has his/her own filter, and especially everyone has different needs. From my experience, I think that the best way to make a choice is to experience it first-handedly even though there is still a possibility to make a false decision.

6 comments:

alice said...

You've choose a good article! It's true that younger students like me can be easily effected by things others say. Especially about schools. To choose a good college, the most important thing is to see by yourself. Don't be too much influenced by others. After all, it's your own future...

Arti said...

Alice, I intend to be the 1st one who gives eriko a comment but it had some problem I couldn't post this evening. ^^
Eriko, I love to read your blog since the last topic,Skycity1000.

I also used internet to acquire some info from university too. it's very useful.... (is it relating to your article...hahah)

Lania said...

Hi Eriko , it's Alina.
I enjoyed to read your article. I like the manner that you write.
How you and the others said it is very important to have information about the place where you plan to study. My self, I use to read others opinions when I have to make a decision,but my decision is not based only in this.

Jennifer said...

I prefer to read different people's opinions about the school which I want to go. If I go to visit the school. I just can see what the scool looks like, what equipments they have, and how big is the library. However, if I read other people's opinions, I have the chance to know more details about the school. for example the teachers. the classes and so on.

cathy said...

In my own experiences,when i chose schools i spend lots of time to collect the different people's opinions about it,and then use the internet to see what it looks like and other information.After all, think about myself information ,then try to find the best one to study.

ownhearts said...

wo0ow nice article.... As every 1 said be4 that it important 2 have information about the place where you plan to study ...4 me i like 2 ask & know people's opinions about the uni that i think it good 4me..