Saturday, November 1, 2008

Returning

More than one year has passed since my last entry. I finished my first year of undergraduate study here, and now I entered the second year. I came back to this deserted blog with no special reason, but if I force me to find a reason, it would be because I am beginning to be conscious about the fact that my days in Canada are actually numbered (I need to go back to my country as my money will run out in the next spring.) As this blog was started as a part of ESL class activity (which means I always had to care about what my professors and classmates would think of me) and has my name on it, I never could feel completely free when I write here, but now I am quite sure that no one I knew in Montreal bothers to look into this blog. I might start another anonymous blog someday, but for a while I will write down my impressions and feelings here until I am sure that I want to keep writing.

This photo was taken on the night before I left Montreal last year. I put two candles in the fireplace of the semi-basement room where I lived for three months. It was a night in June. But when I think of that room, what comes to my mind first is the smell of early spring snow and its reflections which cast white light into the room. And the smile of my landlady, Catherine.

No comments: